Gandhi Jayanti celebrations
2 October 2017, Beijing
Speech of Cd’A Shri B. Wilsonbabu
1. On the occasion of 148 th Birth Anniversary of ‘Father of Indian Nation’ Mahatma Gandhi, I bring warm greetings on behalf of Ambassador Shri Vijay Gokhale.
2. As we all know, Gandhiji was instrumental in achieving India’s independence, through a peaceful and non-violent struggle, based on moral principles. Gandhiji said, “Non-Violence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind, it is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man”. His novel mode of mass mobilisation and non-violent action brought down colonialism, greatly influenced many a freedom struggle and inspired several world leaders such as Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela in their fight for just causes.
3. Gandhiji lived a life of self-discipline and simplicity and he preached what he practiced. Truly, his life had been his message. He believed in human dignity, equality and unity of all mankind and resisted efforts to divide people on socio-religious basis.
4. Gandhiji was a great thinker and reformer who said, “You must be the change you wish to see in the world” and “An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind”.
5. Gandhiji’s philosophy and ideals are all the more relevant in today’s world filled with strife. The values espoused by Gandhiji provide a way forward to build a just and equitable world, free from poverty, hunger and oppression, where people of diverse cultures coexist in dignity, peace and harmony.
6. In due recognition of Gandhiji’s enduring legacy, 2 nd October was designated as the International Day of Non-Violence by United Nations in 2007.
7. Gandhiji looked forward to a day when a free India and a free China could cooperate in friendship and brotherhood for their own good and for the benefit of Asia and the World. Leaders of our two countries have been striving to build strong India-China relations based on Gandhiji’s ideals of world peace and respect for all human beings.
8. On the occasion of 148 th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, let us rededicate ourselves to work towards a free, dignified and unified human society.