Press Release - Commemoration of Third IDY in China 06/14/2017
PRESS RELEASE Commemoration of 3rd International Day of Yoga in China
Embassy of India in Beijing has made all preparations for a grand commemoration of the 3rd International Day of Yoga (IDY) in China. In terms of the quality of participation of Yoga practitioners from India, the number of events at different locations in China and the expected outreach to Chinese Yoga lovers, the series of events planned for this year are poised to reach new heights.
2. For the first time ever, Embassy of India, in collaboration with Ministry of AYUSH and the MorarjiDesai National Institute of Yoga (MDNIY), is inviting a group of 20 young Yoga ambassadors with expertise in performing advanced routines in ‘Hatha Yoga’. These young Yoga ambassadors - 10 girls and 10 boys between 22 and 30 years of age – will capture the imagination of Chinese Yoga lovers with their dexterity and poise in demonstrating advance Yoga techniques. The young Yoga ambassadors will also enable a direct connect with the younger population in China attracted to Yoga.
3. The series of events commemorating the 3rd IDY in China this year will run non-stop from June 14 to June 23, 2017. For the first time ever, Yoga will be performed on the Great Wall of China.
Workshop on ‘Pranayam’
4. A dedicated Workshop on ‘Pranayam’ will kick off the events. The Workshop will be held at the Embassy of India from June 14-18, 2017 and conducted by Yoga Guru Shri Umesh Babu. While the benefits and practice of Yoga Asanas is more popular in China, the Workshop is intended to focus on benefits of ‘Pranayam’ for Chinese Yoga practitioners.
Yoga demonstration at the Opening Ceremony of BRICS Sports meet
5. The group of 20 young Yoga ambassadors will commence their China tour with a special demonstration of Yoga at the Opening Ceremony of BRICS Sports Meet in Guangzhou on June 17, 2017. Being an international event, this demonstration will enable Yoga to reach audiences in all BRICS countries.
Workshop on advanced Yoga
6. Upon reaching Beijing, the young Yoga ambassadors will conduct a Workshop on advanced Yoga in Beijing on June 19 for which all major Yoga institutes and their teachers have been invited. The Workshop will enable a greater understanding of advanced Yoga postures and routines among the Yoga practitioners and teachers in China.
Yoga @ the Great Wall
7. The signature curtain-raiser event for this year’s IDY will be held at the Great Wall of China on June 20, 2017. This will be the first ever such Yoga performance to be held atop the iconic Great Wall of China. The event being organized in collaboration with the Chinese People’s Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries (CPAFFC) and the Yogi Yoga Institute in Beijing, will witness the young Yoga Ambassadors joining about 150 local Yoga lovers practising the Common Yoga Protocol on the world famous Chinese landmark.
IDY main event
8. The main event to commemorate the 3rd IDY will be held in the heart of the Central Business District in Beijing. The event is being organized in collaboration with the major Yoga schools/institutions in Beijing and will feature participation by about 1000 Yoga enthusiasts.
International Yoga-Taiji Conference
9. On June 22, 2017, the young Yoga ambassadors will participate in a unique performance at the 2017 International Yoga-Taiji Conference being organized by CPAFFC in Langfang city in the suburbs of Beijing. The performance will seek to bring out the synergy and harmony between the ancient Indian discipline of Yoga and ancient Chinese discipline of Taiji.
Liaoning India Yoga Day
10. On June 23rd, 2017, the Embassy will partner with the Provincial Government of Liaoning province of China to organize the 2017 Liaoning India Yoga Day events with the participation of several hundred Yoga enthusiasts from North-East China.
11. The above events are intended to further increase the popularity of Yoga in China. Events will be promoted through Embassy’s social media channels include Sina Weibo to reach millions of Chinese Yoga lovers online.
12. The events listed above are those being organized by the Embassy of India, Beijing. Our Consulates in Shanghai and Guangzhou are organizing their own events, which will further enhance the popularity of Yoga in China.